I may live in the city, but my heart is in the country.
This blog is about my day-to-day adventures with my chickens and my family.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Homemade Orange Peel White Vinegar Coop Cleaner

Homemade Orange Peel White Vinegar Coop Cleaner

I saw this post on Fresh Eggs Daily, and decided to make it myself. I have my 2 jars sitting on my kitchen counter waiting for them to age for 1 month. This was about a week ago. So 3 more weeks to go.

Ingredients:
Four oranges
Two cinnamon sticks
Two vanilla beans
Bottle of white vinegar
Two canning jars
Spray bottle


Directions:
Peel the orange, be careful not to get any pitch (white stuff). Put equal amounts of peel in each jar.
Break the cinnamon sticks in half making them 4 sticks, and put 2 sticks in each jar.
Slice open the vanilla beans, and put one bean in each jar.
Pour in enough white vinegar to cover.
Seal, and wait..... 4 weeks for everything to muddle together. Every so often shake the jar.


Since I am new to this whole concept of having chickens. I will use ANYTHING that will clean the coop, and keep the bugs away.
From what I read... the orange peel would make a nice addition since citrus oil is a natural insect deterrent and proven solvent.
Cinnamon oil kills mosquito larvae. Vanilla beans went in next because vanilla repels flies, mosquitoes and other insects.

No comments:

Post a Comment